Referee Mentor Program Returns
The WAGS Tournament is proud to host the Referee Mentor Program at this year’s event! Referee Mentors will be in attendance to oversee the referees throughout the weekend. They will provide feedback to the referees during halftime and at the end of their scheduled matches.
The ref mentor program at the WAGS Tournament adds a unique aspect to our goal of improving the quantity and quality of female referees. The female referees in attendance will be able to relate to the female athletes on a distinct and knowledgeable level. We are proud to support the Referee Mentor Program and their mission of helping all referees grow and improve.
Led by lead mentor Kari Seitz, one of the most accomplished referees in the world, our team of referee mentors are ready for the 2019 WAGS Tournament!
Meet our Mentors:
- Kari Seitz – Our lead mentor. Kari is the most accomplished referee in the world having refereed in 4 FIFA Women’s World Cup and 4 Olympic soccer tournaments. Further she was on the technical staff of the Men’s and Women’s World Cup tournaments in 2018 and 2019, respectively. Currently she serves on the FIFA staff as an Instructor.
- Brendan Barry – A former FIFA referee from Ireland. Brendan is currently a National Referee Coach and is an assessor with PRO.
- Rick Eddy – A former MLS AR. Rick is now the US Soccer Director of Referee Development, a National Referee Coach and a Connecticut Soccer Hall of Fame recipient. Rick was the first non-FIFA referee/AR to be assigned a MLS Cup final.
- Rob Fereday – A former FIFA and MLS AR. Rob is now a National Referee Coach and serves on the Maryland Referee Committee.
- Christina Unkel – A current FIFA referee. Christina is most recently known for her work as the referee expert during the WWC this past year. She is a strong advocate for women in soccer and in business.
- Natalie Simon – a current NWSL referee. Natalie previously participated in the WAGs tournament as a referee and now returns to give back as a mentor.